Thinner than a dime, available in custom values and shapes.
The new PPC Series of ultra-thin polymer aluminum electrolytic capacitors from Cornell Dubilier represents a totally new capacitor form factor.
Designed specifically for applications requiring high ripple current and the thinnest possible profiles, type PPC opens up new product design options. In addition to being just 1 mm thin, the PPC uses versatile packaging technology that makes it possible for capacitors to be formed into custom shapes and sizes to accommodate available space.
Developed by Cornell Dubilier, the PPC is the latest leading-edge capacitor development by the company. These designs have been responsive to market demands for capacitors that provide higher performance while breaking away from traditional cylindrical form factors.
- For applications requiring high-ripple current and the thinnest possible profile
- Opens up new product design options for thinner, high power designs
- Can replace larger cylindrical aluminum electrolytics or large arrays of SMT capacitors
- Choose capacitance values from 8,000µF to 20,000µF from 6.3 to 24 WVDC
- 2,000 hr. life @ 125 °C
- A 1mm thin PPC capacitor has the same rated ripple current as a much larger cylindrical capacitor!
Keys to Performance
- Versatile packaging technology allows capacitors to be ultra- flat, without space-wasting end-seal gaskets
- Custom values, shapes and sizes are available space for best space utilization
- Single component replaces many, increasing end-product reliability
- Easily mounted with 3M double sided VHB tape
- REACH & RoHS compliant
Mechanical design characteristics
- About 5 x 5.5 x 0.04 inches
- Durable & lightweight
- 100G shock tested, 10G Pk for vibration
- Tin-plated copper terminals
- Multiple terminal configurations available
- Compact DC/DC Converters
- Thin Displays
- Compact Industrial Power Conversion Equipment
Custom values are available within a capacitance range of 8,000 µF to 20,000 µF, with working voltages ranging from 6.3 to 24 WVDC. The company plans to extend the series to higher operating voltages later in the year. Operating life is 2,000 hours @ 125° C.
The PPC is rated for 10 g peak for vibration and withstands shocks up to 100 g’s (MIL-STD-202, Method 213, Condition I). With flat tin-plated copper terminations, it is possible to mount the device off-board or directly to a PCB. Mounting is by means of 3M double-sided VHB tapeTM, to ensure that the entire capacitor surface is kept rigid.